Content of the material
- Get the right equipment
- Can my boss ask for my computer password?
- In Windows 10
- Do companies know your password?
- Can a PC Connect to Wi-Fi Without Ethernet?
- How Do I Connect to Wifi on Windows 10 Without an Adapter?
- Method 6: Check the device interference
- Method 3: Update WiFi network driver
- 3. Permission
- How to Check if Your PC Supports WiFi
- Reader Success Stories
Get the right equipment
Before you can set up your wireless network, here’s what you’ll need:
Broadband Internet connection and modem. A broadband Internet connection is a high-speed Internet connection. Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) and cable are two of the most common broadband connections. You can get a broadband connection by contacting an Internet service provider (ISP). Typically, ISPs that provide DSL are telephone companies and ISPs that provide cable are cable TV companies. ISPs frequently offer broadband modems. Some ISPs also offer combination modem/wireless routers. You can also find these at computer or electronics stores, and online.
Wireless router. A router sends info between your network and the Internet. With a wireless router, you can connect PCs to your network using radio signals instead of wires. There are several different kinds of wireless network technologies, which include 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, 802.11ac, and 802.11ax.
Wireless network adapter. A wireless network adapter is a device that connects your PC to a wireless network. To connect your portable or desktop PC to your wireless network, the PC must have a wireless network adapter. Most laptops and tablets—and some desktop PCs—come with a wireless network adapter already installed.
To check whether your PC has a wireless network adapter:
Select Start , type device manager in the search box, and then select Device Manager.
Expand Network adapters.
Look for a network adapter that might have wireless in the name.
Can my boss ask for my computer password?
Employers may not ask or require employees or applicants to: disclose user names, passwords, or other access information to a personal internet account; or access a personal internet account in the presence of the employer.
In Windows 10
Select the Network or Wifi icon in the notification area. In the list of networks, choose the network that you want to connect to, and then select Connect. Type the security key (often called the password). Follow additional instructions if there are any. If you have problems with your Wi-Fi network when using Windows 10, see Fix Wi-Fi problems in Windows for advanced troubleshooting info.
- Having more than a few active items (e.g., computers, phones, tablets, etc.) connected to your Wi-Fi network will invariably slow down your Internet.
Thanks! Helpful 7 Not Helpful 2
Do companies know your password?
Companies like Google and Apple really know all your passwords. If you use Chrome or Safari or Edge or Android or IOS to login to do anything, they know all your passwords. Privacy focused companies like Apple (or maybe Microsoft) store the passwords only on your devices not in the cloud.
Adding WiFi to your desktop computer is not rocket science. As long as you have a modern model that supports wireless connectivity, you will be up and running in no time. The most common ways to set up WiFi in your computer include using a USB WiFi adapter, installing a PCI Express slot, or buying a motherboard with built-in WiFi capabilities.
Can a PC Connect to Wi-Fi Without Ethernet?
Ethernet is a wired connection, so if you want to connect to a wireless Wi-Fi network, you don't need Ethernet at all.
The best way to connect to your Wi-Fi network is by using a Wi-Fi adapter. Some desktop PCs and most laptops have them built-in, but there are add-in ones you can buy. They are relatively affordable and offer the best speeds without being limited by battery life. Alternatively, you can use a smartphone and USB tether it as in the instructions above, but you'll need the correct USB cable, and you won't be able to unplug your smartphone if you want to retain that Wi-Fi connection on your PC.
How Do I Connect to Wifi on Windows 10 Without an Adapter?
No matter what version of windows you got, the steps to connect your pc to a wireless connection will be the same as described above.
With only a few tweaks in the Windows 10 update, you won’t find it difficult to establish a connection between your pc and smartphone/laptop.
Method 6: Check the device interference
The WiFi signals can be interfered by many household devices, such as your cordless phone, microwave oven, Bluetooth speaker, etc. because they use the same 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz frequencies. Therefore, you can check these devices to see if it’s where the problem lies in.
1) Turn off those devices, and unplug the power source
2) On your PC, try to connect your WiFi again, and see if it shows up.
3) If the problem solves, it seems to result from the devices interference. Then move your modem and wireless router to another place, so they are not in the same light with the household devices.
In addition to the way mentioned above, you can also buy a 5 GHz router or dual band router, because many household devices use the frequency of 2.4GHz. So using a router of 5 GHz can avoid most interference.
Method 3: Update WiFi network driver
Wireless network driver allows your operating system to communicate with your wireless and network adapters. If your wireless network is not showing up on laptop, it is probably due to the missing, outdated, or corrupt drivers.
There are two ways to update drivers:manuallyandautomatically.
Manually update driver– You can manually update the network driver bysearching the correct driverthat is matched with yourWindowsOSon themanufacturer’s website, andinstallit in your computer. This requires the time and computer skills.
Automatically update driver– If you don’t have time or patience to manually update drivers, you can do that automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will detect the drivers condition in your computer, and install the correct drivers for your PC. More importantly, with Driver Easy, you don’t need to struggle figuring out the Operating System, and you don’t need to worry about making mistakes while processing. That will tremendously save your time and patience.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or Pro version of Driver Easy. It only takes 2 simple clicks with the Pro version (and you will get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee).Important: If the Windows can’t access to the Internet, you can download Driver Easy from another computer. Then install it in this computer. Due to the Offline Scan feature provided by Driver Easy, you can download and install network driver even with no Internet.
1) Download and install Driver Easy (at first connect your computer to the Internet via Ethernet cable).
2) Run Driver Easy and click Scan Now. Then Driver Easy will scan your computer and detect any problem drivers
3) Click Update button next to the driver name to download the correct driver (you can do that with the FREE version), then install it in your computer.
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the problem drivers (you can do that with Pro version, and you will be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
4) After updating the drivers, restart your computer, then connect to the WiFi network again, and see if your problem solves.
You should get permission from the hotspot owner.
Shop owners usually provide open Wi-Fi as a perk for their customers.
Since you’re not a customer, it might not be appropriate for you to take advantage of it. Even if you are, visiting the business and purchasing, say, a cup of coffee probably isn’t enough to warrant all-day access to their hotspot, either.
The safest thing to do is to ask. Depending on the business, their needs, and your relationship with them, it’s possible they could simply say yes.
How to Check if Your PC Supports WiFi
Follow the steps below to check if your desktop computer supports WiFi connectivity.
- Click Start and choose the Control Panel option
- Click on Network and Internet and choose Network and Sharing Center
- Click Change Adapter Settings
- If you see Wireless Network Connection under available connections, it means that the computer supports WiFi connections.
In case Wireless Network Connection is not listed, there is another way to check if the PC is WiFi-compatible.
- Go back to the Control Panel and then Click Hardware and Sound
- Under Devices and Printers, click on Device Manager
- Double click on Network Adapters
- If you find an adapter with the name WLAN, Wireless, or WiFi, it means the computer supports wireless connectivity
- However, if only the local area network or Ethernet is listed, the computer does not support WiFi
If your computer does not support WiFi, read ahead to discover the different ways you can connect it.
- After establishing a connection if you experience slow performance or other network connectivity issues be sure to experiment with positioning of the computer or client adapter. Keep in mind that WiFi is a radio signal. Metal can act as an RF shield so if you are experiencing a weak connection check for metal surfaces that might be obstructing the path from the gateway to the adapter. A clear line of sight is the best if it can be achieved, but if not 802.11 N signals do penetrate wood and drywall within reason. If you are one room over or a floor directly above the gateway you may get good performance but don’t expect a solid signal two or three floors away without repeating the signal with additional hardware.
Thanks! Helpful Not Helpful
Thanks for submitting a tip for review!
Reader Success Stories
Timothy Magee May 23, 2017
“Explained without confusion. You folks are revolutionaries! You should start a computer corner specifically set up with the big giant pointer at the computer itself. Makes a picture worth way more than a thousand words in computer terms. Nice job.” …” more
More reader stories Hide reader stories